Grants of $1,500.00 yearly for a four year period, are available to four qualified applicants (children of Joint Council No. 73 members, or their legal guardians) for their college education. Once an award is given to a student, a satisfactory academic record must be maintained to ensure its continuance.
Applications for the Joint Council No. 73 Scholarship Awards are available at your Local Union office or at the office of Joint Council No. 73. In completing the application, please keep the following points in mind:
1. Applicants will be judged on, among other things, their record of three and one-half years work in an accredited secondary school. Only students currently enrolled as seniors can be considered.
2. An official transcript of your secondary school work must be in the hands of the Board of Trustees by March 1, 2014. Note the mailing address of the Board on the application form.
3. Recommendations by your guidance counselor and/or teachers should accompany the official transcript of your school record.
4. A character recommendation must be submitted by March 1, 2014. This should be a letter from a responsible member of your local community who knows you well.
5. This award will depend upon your acceptance at the college of your choice.
6. Applicants will take the College Entrance Examination Board Scholastic Aptitude Test. We will accept scores as part of the official school transcript.
7. Please submit an essay addressing this subject: "What are the benefits of a labor union in today's society".
DEADLINE: MARCH 1, 2014 The official application and all transcripts, tests and recommendations should be in the hands of the Board of Trustees. All communications should be sent to: JOINT COUNCIL NO. 73 SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS, 150 MORRIS AVENUE, SUITE 204, SPRINGFIELD, NJ 07081.